WINNIPEG, Man. — The Manitoba Trucking Association has announced the winners of the provincial 2001 Professional Driving Championships, which were held on May 26 and the Red River Exhibition Park.
The Grand Champion Award was captured by Frank Klassen, of Penner International; the First Time Entrant Award went to Darcy Olson of Canada Safeway; Rob Trager, Gary Good, John Klassen and John Nowak of Reimer Express Lines won the Team Award; and the Hal Bjornson Memorial Award was taken home by Brian Hrabarchuck of Con-Way Canada Express.
Entrants competed in five different configuration-based categories. The winners were:
* Jack Blatz, Big Freight Systems, won the 8-axle (super B-train) class;
* Frank Klassen, Penner International, won the 5-axle (tandem/tandem) class;
* Ray Bock, SLH Transport, won the 4-axle (single/tandem) class;
* Brian Hrabarchuck, Con-Way Canada Express, won the 3-axle (single/single) class;
* and, John Nowak, Reimer Express Lines, won the 2-axle (straight truck) class.