AKRON, Ohio – Goodyear is reminding the industry that nominations are still open for the company’s Highway Hero Award, which honors professional truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others.
The 34th Highway Hero Award winner is to be announced next March at the 2017 Mid—America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky.
Past Goodyear Highway Hero Award winners include a truck driver who rescued a law enforcement officer who was being strangled by a prisoner he was transporting, a driver who saved a woman from a gun-wielding attacker, and others. (You can click here for a list of past Goodyear Highway Hero Award winners.)
“The Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put their lives at risk as they travel the roads and highways of North America,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director, Goodyear. “Over the last 30-plus years, we’ve heard hundreds of stories about the bravery of truck drivers. If you know of a truck driver who has performed a heroic act, please let us know.”
To be considered, Goodyear Highway Hero Award candidates:
- Must be a full-time truck driver
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2015, and Nov. 16, 2016
A panel of trucking industry judges will ultimately select the 34th Goodyear Highway Hero from a list of Goodyear Highway Hero Award finalists.
To nominate a truck driver for the Goodyear Highway Hero Award, click on this link, fill out the nomination form, and press the “submit” button, which will send your nomination directly to Goodyear. The deadline to nominate a driver is November 29.