US Democrats probe Trump threat to stall Gordie Howe bridge opening
U.S. House Democrats are demanding records from a billionaire bridge owner and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick as they investigate President Donald Trump’s threat to delay the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, a key trade link between Ontario and Michigan expected to open later this year.
House Democrats first launched the probe last week after Trump made a post on social media insisting the United States must be compensated before he’ll allow the Gordie Howe bridge to open. The New York Times later reported the post came after Lutnick met with Matthew Moroun, whose family owns the competing Ambassador Bridge.
“President Trump’s wealthy donors should not be holding secret meetings with administration officials to influence economic and foreign policies that have real impacts on the American people,” Robert Garcia, the top Democrat on the House oversight committee, said in a news release.

In a letter dated Feb. 18, democrats wrote to Moroun that he may have used his influence as a donor to President Donald Trump to ‘jeopardize American commerce to protect your company’s bottom line.’
“It is flatly unacceptable and undeniably corrupt for a wealthy donor to dictate our foreign and economic policy in order to protect their own personal business interests,” the letter said.
The Gordie Howe bridge has faced opposition for decades from the Moroun family, long-time owners of the Ambassador Bridge and major Republican donors.
Democrats are now seeking all documents and communications related to Lutnick’s meeting with Moroun, including messages and texts with the White House and members of the Trump administration regarding the Gordie Howe and Ambassador bridges. They also requested records related to donations or payments from the Moroun family to the Trump campaign, associated political action committees and the Republican Party.
Democrats also requested all communications with the Moroun family about Prime Minister Mark Carney.
Critical infrastructure for Canadian, U.S. economies
The new crossing is widely viewed as critical freight infrastructure linking Canada and the U.S.
To move the bridge project forward, Canada signed a 2012 deal with Rick Snyder, the Republican governor at the time, under which Canada agreed to shoulder the construction costs, which it would recoup through tolls. The ownership is shared between Michigan and the Government of Canada.
Trump himself endorsed the bridge project during his first term.
In a letter to Trump last week, eight Democrat senators reiterated the importance of opening the Gordie Howe bridge, saying it was critical conduit of international commerce. “We implore you to work with the Canadian government, including Prime Minister Carney, to address our ongoing trade relationship as a separate issue, for which we stand ready to assist,” the letter said. “But as these discussions move forward, it is essential that the Gordie Howe International Bridge open as planned later this year.”
Carney said he spoke with Trump after the social media post and he expects the situation to be resolved.
This report was first published by The Canadian Press on Feb. 18
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.