Ten reasons the 14-point plan is good for truckers, according to Port Metro Vancouver
1. The Ready Rates will be increased by 10% and will now be paid for off-dock trips including for empty containers.
2. The fuel surcharge will increase because it will be based on the increased Ready Rates. Also, trucking companies will be required to pay the fuel surcharge to owner/operators.
3. The Terminal Gate Compliance Fee will not have to be paid when owner/operators are delayed by terminal operations.
4. Owner/operators who are paid by the trip will receive $25 if they are forced to wait two hours past their scheduled pick-up time.
5. After careful review, rates and fuel surcharges will be updated by mid-2015.
6. The audit program will be strengthened and expanded to cover both union and non-union drivers and off-dock movements. Audits of trucking companies will be increased to ensure compliance.
7. A new whistleblower program will make it easier for drivers to report undercutting and non-payment of negotiated rates.
8. Terminal gates will be open longer where there is demand.
9. Under the new Truck Licensing System, the number of trucking permits will be controlled to match demand and make sure there is enough work for everyone.
10. Wait times will be shortened through a better reservation system, GPS tracking and other changes.
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.