News

Six Canadian trucking companies named Best Fleets to Drive For

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- Six Canadian trucking companies have made the 2013 list of the top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For by the Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and CarriersEdge. The annual survey and contest, now in its fifth year, identifies...

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Six Canadian trucking companies have made the 2013 list of the top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For by the Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and CarriersEdge. The annual survey and contest, now in its fifth year, identifies for-hire trucking companies that provide the best workplace experiences for their drivers.

This year’s Canadian winners are:
• Brian Kurtz Trucking – Breslau, Ont.
• Erb Group of Companies – New Hamburg, Ont.
• Steed Standard Transport – Stratford, Ont.
• TimeLine Logistic International – Saskatoon, Sask.
• Trimac Transportation – Calgary, Alta.
• Yanke Group of Companies – Saskatoon, Sask.

Yanke holds the distinction of being the only company to be named a Best Fleet for all five years since the program was launched. “I think that’s a real achievement, considering how much we’ve seen fleets improve their programs since we started,” said TCA president Chris Burruss. “It’s very difficult to get named a Best Fleet to begin with, let alone remain on the list for five consecutive years.”

A pair of Canadian companies also made the contest’s list of “Fleets to Watch” (honourable mentions) for demonstrating innovation in their driver programs: Celadon Canada of Kitchener, Ont., and Transpro Freight Systems of Milton, Ont.

The nomination process began in the fall of 2012, when company drivers and owner/operators were asked to nominate carriers that operate 10 or more trucks. After confirming the validity of the nominations and the trucking companies’ desire to participate, CarriersEdge interviewed human resources representatives and executives of the nominated fleets about their corporate direction, policies, and programs. Nominated fleets were evaluated against a scoring matrix covering a variety of categories, such as:

• Total compensation package – including base pay, bonuses, vacation, and sick day allotment;
• Health benefits;
• Pension plans;
• Professional development opportunities (training, coaching programs, etc.);
• Career path/advancement opportunities;
• Commitment to employee personal growth, including work/life balance, driver family support, and employee-directed charitable contributions;
• Commitment to continuous improvement, including dispute resolution processes and inclusion of driver feedback in policymaking;
• Team building and driver community development activities;
• Annual driver turnover rate; and
• Fleet safety record.

A selection of each fleet’s drivers was also surveyed, with their feedback compared to management’s and incorporated into the final score. The responses were then tallied, resulting in the selection of this year’s winners and honourable mentions.

Mark Murrell, president of CarriersEdge, said: “It’s a pleasure to report that we had a 50% increase in nominations and participation for the fifth anniversary of the program. Clearly, being named a Best Fleet to Drive For is a prestigious title that is motivating companies to constantly raise the bar on the offerings they provide their truck drivers.”

Now that the winners have been named, the next phase of the contest is to announce the highest scoring fleets from each of two categories: Best Overall Fleet for Owner Operators and Best Overall Fleet for Company Drivers. The overall winners will be announced at the TCA Annual Convention, March 3-6 at the Wynn Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nev.

Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry.

Related Posts

19 Comments » for Six Canadian trucking companies named Best Fleets to Drive For
  1. Dinu says:

As I am highway Truck Driver (born Asia) see hundreds of other company trucks drives daily. I noticed that some trucks belongs to certain truck companies drives only by white people, which means to me that these companies hire only white people.
    This is an open discrimination to rest of all none white people specially in Canada, being a diversified country.
    Please change this policy attitude and give an opportunity to other communities to work as a team, irrespective of their colour and cast. Thanks

• john mulbery says:

I live in Edmonton and 95% of gravel truck drivers are east indian and some company,s advertise for Punjabi speakers on now you tell me if that’s not discrimination. I have no problem with east indian drivers or drivers of any race but what I do have a problem with is people playing the race card

• Paul says:

Dinu,

Often, as a requirement of CTPat and FAST, drivers must be fluent in english. Many immigrants come to Canada and live within cliques which prevent them from improving their english skills and the social skills required to thrive in the North American environment. Additionally, their are many companies wholly owned and operated by visible minority groups who hire only within their race.

• Nuradiin says:

That is not true and is excuse normally used by those who want to block the argument of the race card. English is universal language today,but white Canada stress this subject when in fact that is not the case. Immigrants have English skills as well as technical skills but the problem has some thing to do with job protection. All high paying jobs white Canada does not want to be shared

• Guru says:

I’m a Born Canadian, I also drive truck… thinking about giving it up because I can’t compete with the East Indian trucking companies, and most of them only hire people who can speak Punjab, they work for almost nothing just to get the loads, and most of them are the worst drivers I have ever seen on the hi-ways, I hope to get out of trucking before one of them kill me, they don’t have any respect for other people on the roads, a lot of them are ruining it for the good drivers, DOT should be checking where these people are getting their Class 1 drivers licence

2. Dinu comments like that is not true and you know it comments like that from you are are full of dis says:

Dinu comments like that are not true and you are the one discriminating against as you say white people. Canada has open its doors ,,,,,,,,,,,, and you are not looking very closely.Why are you here with white people, If a white person made a comment like that watch out enough is enough. The only person that has attitude is you.Open your eyes and stop discriminating against white people and Canada.In respective to white communities. A concerned Canadian a team player.

3. AL says:

You do realize Not ALL White people were born in canada , those ” White People ” most likely are from another country just not yours .Nows who is Discriminating ??? foolish person

4. Herbert Lange says:

Dear Sirs,
    My name is Herbert Lange, I am 56 years old and I have with my son Daniel 23 years old, for a year in Canada to drive truck in front together. I drive for over 2 decades
    Truck, my son is a trained professional drivers and has already
    4 years of professional experience. We want to use this one year
    to find out if Canada is the land for our future.
    Preferably we would like to go on a truck together – tours in the United States. We are also willing to live this year only in the truck to get to know the country and people.
    herbertlange54@online.de

5. WOW! As an American CDL credentialed driver/citizen I am shocked that Mr. Dinu is having “race issues” in the Land of Ehh, truly amazing! I drive to Canada on a weekly basis and I maybe have heard a snicker joke once in a while about aboriginals or Yankees (ME) but mostly very civil and decent people. This is a big attraction for me to visit the “Land of Ehh”. In fact my family and I are starting the paperwork process to move to Canada, the U.S.A. has become dangerously divided over race/opportunities. I would also say if you have a problem with race /opportunies the door out of Canada swings out to……… LEAVE!
    Just saying!

• Irene says:

I wish it was easy to move to the USA – husband a trucker and he goes from Canada to USA 5+ days per week – all we hear on the radio is American companies looking for drivers and we would love to move and be a trucker there but unfortunately cannot get a work visa. Duel citizens UK/Canadian.

6. Part 2:

As an American CDL credentialed driver (Owner Operator) I would like to THANK the following Canadian companies for allowing me the privilege of contracting loads to and from Canada. They are;

Mouemette Cranes – Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
    Petro-Canada – Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
    Landstar-Canada Ltd. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    Royal Canadian Air Force, Nisku, Alberta, Canada.
    Also my Thanks to all of the RCMP scale officers and local constables for making my trips in Canada a safe, smooth and friendly experience!

7. Sol says:

i am a car driver, I want to send my thanks to all the truck drivers out there (all colours, cultures, races) who i feel make the road a safe place to be, you are the people who truly know how to drive. all of you,

Sol

8. giorgio says:

hello, I’m an italian driver and I want to go to Canada . Some one can help me to find a very good truck company?
    bye

9. motor all says:

Let me tell y’all bout these pigheaded comments. I had a job driving for a Canadian carrier,, loss it due to color, race issues

24 year veteran 1,500,000 miles

10. motor all says:

However, I do like the country and such however it’s just the bad elements moving in, and festering up the hate.

11. Karl peters says:

Hi, I am a 36 year old father of 4 living in the U.K. I am seriously considering moving to Canada to become a truck driver, I would appreciate any information that you guys could give me to help the process move along quickly and smoothly. Maybe some sort of information on who is the best companies to contact regarding full time work and where best to situate myself and my family to obtain the best education for my children and work prospects for myself. Any info will be great cheers guys.

• Steph says:

I work in transportation as an analyst in British Columbia. BC is probably Canada’s most thriving province currently. We have a large amount of jobs available in transportation, forestry, and trades at the moment. The dollar is low in comparison to the US but because BC sells lumber in US dollars we’ve actually made money as a forestry industry giant with the dollar’s shift. Vancouver and Prince Rupert, both in BC, are major trading ports to Asia with Vancouver being the largest port in Canada. Also, our weather is spectacular. We rarely get snow in the Lowermainland of BC, spring starts early and autumn begins late.

In terms of racial inequality unfortunately that is culturally something our nation has seen many times with the inflation of certain ethnicity immigrating. You will find that in the trucking industry there may very well be a trucking company that will require you to speak Pubjabi in order to be considered for hire due to communication inefficiencies. When my parents immigrated from Italy communities of Italians would frequently house together in the same neighbourhood for sake of comfort-ability. It happens. I wouldn’t read too much into it, most of us understand that assimilation into a new place requires time and patience and care and compassion, I’d like to think most Canadians possess these qualities so the empathy is there.

Please see: http://www.bctrucking.com/careers/job-postings
      Listed will be companies that have membership with the BCTA. There are many many other companies as well but usually BCTA members have the cleanest reputations and offer reasonable benefit opportunities.

12. Audrey says:

I am saddened the stress I’ve had to bare since my spouse went into this industry. In 2 years he’s had around 6 jobs. .. Most companies he’s worked for have Los ethics especially when it comes to non-white drivers. They pay low, lie at interview about the pay after advertising they pay well….. my spouse has worked in Calgary, done long haul, local….he’s jus about tried different options in this industry. It’s driving us into debt…. we have a family and a special needs child. I’m so distraught how little regulations these companies get. And no union to regulate companies and drivers….does not help. I wish Canada could do more. You would think distribution is not a necessity the way these drivers especially non-whites are treated