Truck News


B.C. loggers rave about G288 tire

QUESNEL, B.C. - Goodyear has released the results of some tire testing it conducted with Western Canadian logging fleets and it says it's pleased with the results....



QUESNEL, B.C. – Goodyear has released the results of some tire testing it conducted with Western Canadian logging fleets and it says it’s pleased with the results.

The tire being tested was the G288 – a tire the company says offers a fine balance between tread life and day-to-day functionality in applications involving both on- and off-highway use.

The Goodyear Unisteel G288 MSA tire is the successor to its G286 mixed service tire, which has been used for years in the mining, logging and construction industries.

Goodyear says the G288 offers improved mileage (up to 30 per cent more miles to removal), better resistance to cutting and tearing, improved off-road and wet traction and a quieter ride.

Unimac Carriers, a logging contractor based in Quesnel, B.C., was among the fleets testing the new tire.

Owner Larry Mack says his fleet runs 60 per cent on-highway and 40 per cent off-road with trucks often running 60 miles on gravel.

The fleet tested the G288 MSA on the steer axles of seven of its trucks, and reported realizing a 26 per cent improvement in treadwear compared to its previous tires.

“The tires performed really well off road and were much easier to steer in mud than our previous tires,” said Mack.

“Traction is important in our business. You’ll get front-end skid on the gravel if you don’t have the right tire.”

He also noted improved ride characteristics, adding “Because it’s a more flexible compound, it feels better over the bumps. The drivers say it’s like driving a different truck.”

Also in B.C., Cruise Transportation tested the tire on a seven-axle, setback front axle logging truck.

Truck owner Ron Metz said he achieved an 85 per cent improvement in tread life on his steer axle.

“The G288 is an exceptional tire, Metz said.

“I’m hauling 70 per cent off-road and the other 30 per cent is in extreme heat on the highway. It withstood any torture I put it through. It’s got great traction on and off-road, it handles beautifully on the corners and gives me a smooth ride. I feel safe with this tire, because I know it will get me off the mountain – it’s not going to let me down.”

Truck News

Truck News

Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry.
All posts by

Print this page

Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *