If you're thinking seriously about becoming a true independent, you should be able to successfully answer the following 10 questions:1. Do I have a burning desire to become a business owner, or am I h...
If you’re thinking seriously about becoming a true independent, you should be able to successfully answer the following 10 questions:
1. Do I have a burning desire to become a business owner, or am I happy just driving my truck?
2. What level of risk am I willing to take financially?
3. Do I like adventure and the opportunity to grow a business, or do I like predictability?
4. How many shipper contacts do I have who could become potential clients and are they diversified in different industries?
5. Am I prepared to offer better service as a reason for a shipper to choose me over another carrier?
6. Have I accumulated a cash reserve to cover my startup period – a bare minimum of 90 days?
7. Am I ready to incorporate?
8. Am I willing to take 100 per cent responsibility for success or failure?
9. Am I happy to drive less so I can do the administrative work or face the prospects of either working longer or hiring staff?
10. Am I prepared for the added expenses?
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News