OTTAWA, Ont. – Mark your calendar now and get ready to celebrate National Trucking Week 2005, Sept. 18 through 24.
“The Ontario Trucking Association in conjunction with the Canadian Trucking Alliance, is encouraging each carrier and supplier to undertake steps to mark the special week,” says OTA Communication’s Manager, Rebecka Torn.
National Trucking Week is held annually to spotlight the important contributions made by the 400,000 Canadian men and women who keep the country’s freight moving. The week also serves as a platform enabling the trucking associations to deliver important information to the community about the vital role of the trucking industry. The date of this annual event is set each year by the Canadian Trucking Alliance in cooperation with the country’s seven provincial trucking associations.
“Each year members of the trucking industry and industry suppliers come up with a wide variety of ways to recognize truck drivers and other employees,” says Torn. “Trucking company executives have washed and fueled trucks for their drivers. Employees have enjoyed complimentary breakfasts and barbecues courtesy of their employers and all sorts of tokens of appreciation have been presented to employees. Truck stops have poured complimentary cups of coffee or offered slices of fresh pie to truck drivers.”
Looking for celebration ideas? Visit the Canadian Trucking Alliance web site for a list of ideas for marking National Trucking Week. The CTA site is www.cantruck.com – (click on the ‘Canada Moves by Truck’ icon).
And while you’re at it, view a letter of congratulations to all members of the trucking industry from the Prime Minister, also at www.cantruck.com (click on the ‘Canada Moves by Truck’ logo).
Here’s what OTA is doing in 2005 to Mark National Trucking Week:
* National Trucking Week 2005 Poster and Buttons*
Help raise awareness of the special week by displaying the official 2005 National Trucking Week poster and button. (Official button and poster sponsor is Kingsway General Insurance Company).
* Mark’s Work Wearhouse Discount Cards
* OTA member companies may obtain cards which will give 10 per cent off the purchase price of many items purchased at Mark’s Work Wearhouse anywhere in Canada.
* Industry Pride Posters (set of three) Produced by OTA to promote industry pride. This set of three posters contains positive messages about ‘team work’, ‘professionalism’ and ‘responsibility’. Ideal for year round display in offices, terminals and warehouses.
* Two Official Newspaper Supplements for National Trucking Week
Each year in time for National Trucking Week OTA produces a newspaper supplement that spotlights the professionalism and innovation of the trucking industry. This year OTA aims to produce TWO supplements:
1. Driving Your Future – Today’s Trucking Industry (Metroland)
The “Driving Your Future” supplement is designed to raise awareness of why trucking is vitally important to all Canadians and how the industry is an attractive career choice. Metroland Community Newspapers will distribute this glossy-cover, magazine style supplement to homes in South Central Ontario communities in time for National Trucking Week.
2. Business of Trucking Supplement (Globe & Mail)
Designed to raise awareness among business leaders, investors and trucking stakeholders, this supplement will examine the business issues facing the trucking industry. Will be delivered to the Globe & Mail’s (Ontario edition) influential readers in time for National Trucking Week.
Watch OTA’s Web site, www.ontruck.org for further information on National Trucking Week.
* All items marked with a bullet (* ) are available free of charge to OTA member companies. All items must be picked up directly from the OTA office or shipped via courier at own expense. Items are first-come, first served and available only while quantities last.
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News