Nineteen cartage firms have so far returned to work at CN’s intermodal yards, representing about half the trucks that usually serve the yard in a day, reports the Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association.
In addition CN has also put its own trucks to use.
"Late yesterday afternoon we have received a phone call from the independent drivers representative confirming that as of this morning ALL drivers will be back to work with the caveat that compensation for long waiting times is a given. As there is no representative authority that can make such a decision on behalf of all operators and drivers, this compensation issue will have to be dealt with on a firm to firm basis and might deviate from company to company," CIFFA commented in a bulletin to members.
CIFFA adds that it is important to observe the reservation system implemented by CN.
In most cases it is up to the carter to observe these instructions. Following are CN"s instructions for the Brampton Intermodal Yard (BIT):
1. No Export container loads or empties, except vessel cut-offs, will be allowed INTO B.I.T. yard until September 18, 2003. This measure will concentrate assets on the delivery of import loads to customers.
2. CN will commit to a maximum of a 60 minute average turn time provided requests for containers are given to CN by 0800 the day prior to pickup. These requests must be faxed to 905 789 4365.
3. All carters must show up on time for their gate reservation. The integrity of the gate reservation system is key to maintaining carter turn times.
4. Carters are urged to take advantage of the fact that we operate 24-hours per day, 7 days a week. Pick-ups in off peak hours will be critical to restoring and maintaining a normal operation.
5. As a reminder, the proper communication processes are:
a. ONLY drivers in the terminal greater than 60 minutes can contact the Mobile Supervisor Hotline at 416 986 7952.
b. System problems and information for Gate Reservations can be handled by contacting 905 804 3635.
c. Normal operating issues can be escalated through the CSC in Winnipeg at 1 800 277 9531.
d. Cartage company owners or their designate can contact the Senior Terminal Coordinator with high level issues at 905 301 1783.
NOTE: The above numbers are all covered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
(24-hour coverage of the gate reservation number commences September 16.)
6. It is imperative that all Cartage Company Owners communicate their operational intentions to the Senior Terminal Coordinator at the number listed above. This communication should include details regarding off peak hour and weekend pick-ups during the next week.
In addition to the above, CIFFA says all stakeholders should be reminded of the following:
1. Please ensure that all containers at all terminals have open storage guarantees.
2. Please ensure that all containers at all terminals are free of SS holds.
3. Please send a priority list by department of containers at CN Bit.
4. Please encourage warehouses and customers to extend their hours of operation and unload containers as quickly as possible. Every carrier will obviously have a shortage of equipment. Freeing the equipment up will allow more loads to be moved.
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.