INDIANAPOLIS, IN. — Navistar unveiled its new TerraStar 4×4 at the Work Truck Show today, “a true commercial vehicle, not a built up consumer truck,” said David Majors, vice president of Navistar’s Product Development, North America Platform.
A 4×2 TerrStar was originally launched in 2010, and the new 4×4 — dubbed the DuraStar’s “smaller sibling” by Navistar President Jack Allen, North American Truck and Parts — “will deliver additional commercial duty capability for a wide range of customer needs, including construction, utility, landscape, and other off-highway applications.”
The engine is the 300 horsepower, 6.8-liter MaxxForce, with 660 lb.-ft. torque. Navistar opted for the Allison Optimized 1000 Series transmission, which, when bought with the TerraStar, comes with a five-year warranty. “Robust and quiet at high speeds,” Majors said, who spent some time driving the TerraStar in Alaska during the winter.
Majors said they opted for a commercial cab, increasing visibility and interior space. “If you’re a big gentleman, you can get into this cab,” he said. The cab is available in both crew and extended configurations, and is made of double-sided, galvanaized high-strength steel.
Majors also highlighted International’s Diamond Logic electrical system during the walkaround. The engine, transmission, instrument panel and other components communicate electronically, and monitors critical vehicle functions that are relayed to the driver. It’s customizable, too, Majors added.
- Allison Optimized 1000 Series transmission
- Fabco TC-28 gear-driven transfer case—the only gear-driven transfer case in its class
- 6.8-liter MaxxForce 7 V-8 engine with up to 300 horsepower
- International Ride-Optimizes Suspension (IROS) air suspension system
- Longer 138- and 150-inch CA offerings w/ standard cab to accommodate 18- and 20-foot bodies
- Aluminum step package and stainless steel fuel tank straps
- Commercial style tilt-away hood provides easy access to engine compartment for routine service and scheduled maintenance.
- 80,000 PSI frame rails and huck-bolted frame ensures maximum strength commercial grade cab designed to be more durable and resist cracking under heavy loads.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data