LANGLEY, B.C. — Truckers will have a new option as of Jan. 1, when 32 Ave. between Langley and Hwy. 99 will be officially designated a truck route.
But not everyone is welcoming the big rigs with open arms, as many residents along the route say they weren’t consulted.
“To stick a truck route through the middle of our neighborhood seems asinine,” local resident, Trish Jenkins tells local media. She says trucks used the route for a couple weeks earlier this year and it was impossible to sleep.
But Jenkins may be barking up the wrong tree when accusing city officials, as it was TransLink who made the decision to allow trucks on the route.
Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum, says he may ask TransLink for a one year extension before implementing the change, which would keep truckers off the route for another 365 days at least, but for the time being the route will be open to trucks as of midnight Dec. 31.
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News