ALEXANDRIA, VA — The Truckload Carriers Association has selected 18 companies as division winners for the 2013 National Fleet Safety Awards and six of the winners are Canadian truck companies.
Since the mid-1970s, the TCA has been recognizing the safest fleets in North America through its National Fleet Safety Awards, which honor trucking companies that demonstrate a superior commitment to safety and accident reduction.
The 18 division winners are now competing for two grand prizes, one in the “less than 25 million annual miles” category and one in the “25 million or more annual miles” category. To win the grand prize, companies will be judged on their overall safety programs, both on- and off-highway, including employee driver/independent contractor selection procedures, training, supervision, accident investigation, inspection and maintenance of equipment, and outside activities including general highway safety.
Here are the 2013 top divisional winners, chosen based on low accident frequency ratios per million miles. Companies are listed according to the order that they placed within each category.
Division I Winners (Under 5 million miles)
1. FTC Transportation, Inc., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2. Specialty Transport, Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee
3. Art Pape Transfer, Inc., Dubuque, Iowa
Division II Winners (5-14.99 million miles)
1. Brian Kurtz Trucking Ltd, Breslau, Ontario
2. MacKinnon Transport Inc, Guelph, Ontario
3. Diamond Transportation System, Inc., Racine, Wisconsin
Division III Winners (15-24.99 million miles)
1. A&A Express, LLC, Brandon, South Dakota
2. Convoy Systems, LLC, Kansas City, Kansas
3. Jet Express Inc, Dayton, Ohio
Division IV Winners (25-49.99 million miles)
1. N.Yanke Transfer, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
2. Erb International, Inc., New Hamburg, Ontario
3. Hill Brothers Transportation, Inc., Omaha, Nebraska
Division V Winners (50-99.99 million miles)
1. Groupe Robert Inc., Rougemont, Québec
2. May Trucking Company, Salem, Oregon
3. J & R Schugel Trucking, Inc., New Ulm, Minnesota
Division VI Winners (100+ million miles)
1. Bison Transport Inc, Winnipeg, Manitoba
2. Gordon Trucking Inc, Pacific, Washington
3. Roehl Transport Inc., Marshfield, Wisconsin
The division winners had their accident frequency per million miles driven calculated for each of six mileage-based divisions. The top three division winners were selected and have been audited by an independent expert to verify their accident frequency numbers.
They will be recognized at an awards ceremony to be held during TCA’s Annual Convention, March 23-26, at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Texas. They will also be recognized during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting, May 18-20, 2014, at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch in St. Louis, Mo.
As with the division winners, the two grand prize winning companies will be honored at an awards ceremony to be held first during TCA’s Annual Convention and then again during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting.
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.