WINNIPEG, Man. — Thirty-two competitors were at Peterbilt Manitoba June 15 to take part in the annual Manitoba Professional Truck Driving Championship (PTDC). The competition included a written test, trip inspection station, and the driving track, which is divided into Straight Truck, Single-Single, Single-Tandem, Tandem-Tandem, and Super B Train categories.
The top finishers in each category, announced at the Driver Awards Banquet later in the day, are as follows:
– Straight Truck: Jason Novak (Canadian Freightways)
– Single-Single: Brian Hrabarchuk (Con-Way Freight)
– Single-Tandem: Ronald Poirier (TST Overland Express)
– Tandem-Tandem: Howard McAfee (H&T Trucking)
– Super B Train: Ken Wiebe (EBD Enterprises)
Those drivers will now represent Team Manitoba and compete against the other provincial teams at Nationals to be held in Abbotsford, B.C. Sept. 21.
Other event winners recognized at the banquet included:
– J.O. Dutton Award: Ken Wiebe (EBD Enterprises)
– First Time Entrant: Nick Alexopoulos (Canada Safeway)
– Team Award: Canadian Freightways
– Bjornson Memorial: Brian Hrabarchuk (Con-Way Freight)
– Grand Champion: Howard McAfee (H&T Trucking)
A new addition to this year’s Driver Awards Banquet was the presentation of the MTA-Custom Truck Sales/Kenworth Truck Company Industry Excellence Award. To be selected to receive an Industry Excellence Award, a driver must have demonstrated a commitment to the trucking industry, safety, and customer service – and even may have performed acts of outstanding bravery or courage, risking their own lives to save others.
The 12 Industry Excellence recipients for 2013 are Abe Derksen (TST Overland Express), David Bowen (Arnold Bros. Transport), Grant Goss (Trappers Transport), Ibrahim Hrncic (Bison Transport), Malcolm Campbell (Arnold Bros. Transport), Mark Tricco (Bison Transport), Marshall Timmer (Arnold Bros. Transport), Michael Malley (Trappers Transport), Ranjodj Shergill (Trappers Transport), Richard Fredette (Arnold Bros. Transport), Robert Archambault (Bison Transport) and Roy Dillon (TransX Group of Companies).
From this pool of 12 drivers, the annual Volvo Trucks Canada Driver of the Year will be selected.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data