TORONTO, Ont. — Canada’s trucking industry is gearing up to roll out National Trucking Week this weekend.
This year’s event runs from September 11 – 17, 2004. National Trucking Week is held annually to spotlight the important contributions made by the 400,000 Canadians who work in the industry. The week also serves as a platform for raising awareness of how to safely share the road with a truck.
“Grocery store shelves are stocked and the supplies we need for daily living are available when we need them, thanks to the country’s safe and reliable trucking industry,” says OTA President David Bradley. “During National Trucking Week we salute the men and women who form the backbone of the trucking industry. Without you the country would literally stop!”
OTA member companies are marking National Trucking Week in a wide variety of ways. Some fleets are saying ‘thanks’ by treating their staff to special breakfasts, lunches or BBQs during the week, while others are presenting commemorative jackets, shirts and similar items to their employees. Still others are holding softball tournaments for the staff and their families. Other companies have said thanks in a special newspaper supplement produced in connection with the event (the supplement was distributed with the Globe & Mail on Sept. 7, 2004).
OTA is marking National Trucking Week with the following:
* Road Sharing Video Giveaway – To further raise awareness of the importance of road sharing among all road users, OTA is distributing free copies of the video “Sharing the Road with Trucks” to the first 1,000 people who contact the OTA office during National Trucking Week. (One video per Ontario household.)
* National Trucking Week Billboard – A road safety message advising motorists to avoid a truck’s blind spots is displayed on a billboard on top of the OTA building located at 555 Dixon Road in Toronto.
* Posters/Buttons – Trucking companies, truck stops and industry suppliers are raising awareness of National Trucking Week with a poster and button produced by OTA, sponsored by Kingsway General Insurance Company Buttons are now out of stock. The free poster is available by contacting OTA’s communications department at email@example.com or 416-249-7401, Ext. 224.
* Discount Card for National Clothing Store: OTA made available to its member companies discount cards for re-distribution to members’ employees. The card entitles the bearer to receive a discount on selected items at Mark’s Work Wearhouse anywhere in Canada.
* Newspaper Supplement – To help promote National Trucking Week in the days leading up to the event, OTA distributed a newspaper supplement entitled “The Ontario Trucking Industry” with the Sept. 7 edition of The Globe & Mail. Visit www.cantruck.com (click the National Trucking Week logo) for more information. Or, click the National Trucking Week logo on the OTA homepage (www.ontruck.org).
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News