Meritor WABCO Vehicle Control Systems has introduced SmartTrac, an integrated suite of anti-lock braking, automatic traction control, and stability control systems for commercial vehicles.
It integrates the company’s active safety systems technologies:
• Electronic Stability Control (ESC) combines Roll Stability Control (RSC) with the added capability of yaw or rotational control. If loss of stability is detected, as in an evasive maneuver, speed is automatically reduced and the engine brake as well as tractor and trailer foundation brakes are applied.
• Roll Stability Control (RSC) is vehicle rollover stability with the fewest components and maintenance requirements, as well as the lowest cost. It continually monitors lateral acceleration conditions that can lead to a rollover and automatically de-throttles the engine and applies all brakes as required.
• RSSplus is a trailer-only stability control system with a two-modulator valve, that integrates with trailer ABS. It continually calculates the trailer’s roll-stability threshold based on load and measures actual lateral acceleration and individual wheel speeds. When a rollover is imminent, it cuts engine torque and applies all braking systems. Retrofit is readily possible.
• Monitoring and telematics means communicating over the tractor’s data bus, such that status messages can be relayed to an on-board computer and fleet managers at home base can correlate stability control and braking events with precise time and location data.
• Improved diagnostics and event recording: The SmartTrac family of ECUs can capture data about braking and stability control events and create a record of accurate, detailed information that fleet managers can use to identify trends and build more effective driver training programs.
The SmartTrac family is available as a factory-installed option at several truck, tractor and trailer OEMs.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data