US Customs: Just over a week left to get border ID

WASHINGTON – U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding U.S. and Canadian citizens and travelers that new document requirements go into effect on June 1, 2009 for entry into United States at land or sea ports.

Travelers should apply for approved travel documents — like a passport — now, as it can take several weeks to receive a document that will comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Truckers can use a passport, FAST card, or a province-issued Enhanced Driver’s License, when and where they’re available.

U.S. and Canadian citizens who lack WHTI-compliant documents but are otherwise admissible will not be denied entry into the United States on June 1, and are encouraged to continue with their travel plans and to obtain facilitative and secure WHTI travel documents as soon as possible.

"Obtaining a WHTI-approved document and complying with the law will help make our borders more secure," said CBP Acting Commissioner Jayson P. Ahern. "We will be practical and flexible in implementing this new travel requirement, but encourage travelers to get these documents now to expedite border crossings from day one."

Have your say

This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.