ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Five of the 20 Best Fleets to Drive For are from Canada, as well as two “fleets to watch.”
The Canadian winners include: Bison Transport, Winnipeg, Man.; Erb Group, New Hamburg, Ont.; Kriska Holdings, Prescott, Ont.; Liberty Linehaul, Ayr, Ont.; and TransPro Freight Systems, Milton, Ont.
Fleets to watch include Challenger Motor Freight from Cambridge, Ont. and Drive Logistics out of Windsor, Ont.
This is the seventh year of the competition, run by the Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and administered by CarriersEdge. The competition looks to recognize the carriers that provide the best overall workplace experiences for their drivers.
To be considered, a trucking company must operate 10 or more trucks and be nominated by at least one of its drivers or owner/operators. CarriersEdge then interviews nominated carriers about their corporate direction, policies and programs. They take into consideration:
- Total compensation package – including base pay, bonuses, vacation, and sick day allotment
- Health benefits
- Pension plans
- Professional development opportunities (training, coaching programs, etc.)
- Career path/advancement opportunities
- Commitment to employee personal growth, including work/life balance, driver family support, and employee-directed charitable contributions
- Commitment to continuous improvement, including dispute resolution processes and inclusion of driver feedback in policymaking
- Team building and driver community development activities
- Annual driver turnover rate
- Fleet safety record
“This year, we saw a large increase in the number of companies with retirement plans that included a company match, like a 401(k),” said Jane Jazrawy, chief executive officer of CarriersEdge. “We also noted that many companies are providing mobile devices to their drivers, often with custom mobile apps to go with them. New for this year, we saw a few fleets offering guaranteed pay for their drivers, similar to the base salary that sales reps or consultants might receive.”
When examining the list of winners and Best Fleets to Watch, Brad Bentley, president of TCA, commented: “I’m pleased to see that four of these companies were flagged as Fleets to Watch in the past and five are also finalists in TCA’s National Fleet Safety Awards. Clearly, these fleets are doing something right, and their efforts are paying off on multiple levels.”
Overall winners in small and large fleet categories will be selected and then awarded at the TCA’s convention March 10. The awards are sponsored by Marsh Inc and Bose Ride. For more info on the contest visit www.BestFleetsToDriveFor.com.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data