Truck News


CBP: Time running out to get FAST card, enhanced licence or passport

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding Canadians that they'll need a passport...

WASHINGTON, D.C. — US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is reminding Canadians that they’ll need a passport or an approved alternative if they plan to cross into the US by land beginning June 1.


FAST cards and enhanced drivers licences (when and where available) will suffice under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). However, a conventional driver’s licence and birth certificate will no longer be enough to get you across the border, the agency warns.


Since it can take weeks to receive the necessary travel documents, time is running out to apply, CBP says. Drivers who don’t have an WHTI-certified form of ID will be turned away at the border as of June 1.


“Obtaining a WHTI-approved document and complying with the law will help make our borders more secure,” said CBP acting commissioner Jayson P. Ahern. “We will be practical and flexible in implementing this new travel requirement, but encourage travellers to get these documents now to expedite border crossings from day one.”  


Children under the age of 16 will require only proof of citizenship, such as an original birth certificate. For more details, visit

Truck News

Truck News

Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry.
All posts by

Print this page
Related Articles

Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *