WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. customs officials recently announced pre-notification period for goods moving across the border will be extended once again.
In a June 5 speech to the Washington International Trade Association, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Doug Browning said one hour is insufficient to allow U.S. officials to analyze entry data and assess risk.
He said a new rule extending the pre-notification period will be published by month’s end.
The proposed pre-notification rule, which currently sets the pre-notification period at one hour, was adopted after the “strawman proposal” was ditched due to industry outcry earlier this year.
The “strawman proposal” called for four hours pre-lading notice for all U.S. bound truck shipments. Trucks leaving the U.S. were required to give 24-hours notice.
David Bradley of the Canadian Trucking Alliance called the new “disappointing.”
“Obviously, we are disappointed to learn of the CBP deputy chief’s comments. If not one-hour pre-notification, then what? It is difficult to comment when we don’t know what CBP is planning. Industry on both sides of the border was clear — the strawman proposal would have visited severe hardship on the North American economy by impeding Just-In-Time inventory/delivery systems. If indeed, the one-hour window proposed by COAC is insufficient to allow CBP to conduct a proper risk assessment, then perhaps CBP needs to review its own systems and internal administration as opposed to unnecessarily impeding commerce.”
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News