VANCOUVER, B.C. — The task force appointed to review issues related to the B.C. container hauler strike earlier this summer has submitted its report.
The report contains recommendations for a long-term strategy to facilitate industry relations and ensure the smooth movement of containers in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver. The report will be made public Nov. 4 in Vancouver.
“I would like to thank the task force members for their work,” said Transport Minister Jean-C. Lapierre. “I look forward to reviewing the recommendations they have made based on their deliberations and consultations with stakeholders. I am also committed to working closely with the Province of British Columbia and ports in Vancouver to implement the actions needed to bring about a lasting solution. The province and ports are key partners in ensuring stability within the container trucking industry in the Lower Mainland.”
The federal and provincial governments will review the task force report and then discuss recommendations with the ports of Vancouver and the Fraser River. A framework will then be developed to provide the industry with long-term stability, government officials say.
“Our port system is a valuable element of the economies of British Columbia and Canada,” said B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon. “It is essential that all parties work together to find a long-term solution that will ensure our port system can operate smoothly to take advantage of the expanding opportunities that lie ahead.”
Meanwhile, the feds have approved another 90-day order-in-council to ensure owner/operators can continue serving the ports without contravening the Competition Act.
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News