The following decision factors are critical for making, using, and buying technologies in the commercial motor vehicle industry:
• Return on Investment for the Purchaser: Sustains commercial success of technologies purchased and used by carriers.
• Initial Cost: Affects early deployment, since a high initial purchase cost makes it difficult for a carrier to raise the needed capital to buy technologies.
• Demonstrated Effectiveness to Improve Safety, Security, and Efficiency of Operations: Represents the major benefits that offset the costs of technologies.
• System Reliability and Maintainability: Provides the results and usability of technologies for carriers and manufacturers (original equipment manufacturers and vendors).
• Driver Acceptance: Ensures that drivers are receptive to technologies that are user-friendly and effective in improving safety and security.
• Market Image: Involves using state-of-the-art technologies to improve a carrier’s image by designating a company as progressive and concerned about the safety and security of their drivers and loads.
• Market Demand: Depends on awareness of the technology along with acceptance and belief in its value, which is particularly important to manufacturers introducing a new product.
• In-cab Technology Interface Integration: Minimizes cost, distraction, and human errors while using the technology.
• Investment Required for Research and Development of New Technology: Includes concerns of original equipment manufacturers and vendors about the risks inherent with new developments.
• Liability: Influences carriers, drivers, and manufacturers, particularly relating to the data stored by certain technologies and its use.
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.