LOUISVILLE, KY. — Bridgestone Commercial Solutions has introduced a total tire solution it claims can save up to 5% on fuel costs and shave up to 29% in total tire wear costs.
The company unveiled five new tires in the EcopiaTM line for steer, drive, and trailer positions, and four new tread designs in the Bandag FuelTech line that complement the drive and trailer Ecopia line up. The two product lines are designed to work together. Specially engineered compounds paired with matching retread patterns are supposed to continue low rolling resistance from the new Ecopia tires to the FuelTech retreads while extending casing life. In fact, the impressive cut in total tire wear costs cited are calculated based on retreading the Ecopia tires three times.
“We’ve created a total solution for our customers that didn’t shortchange fuel economy for tread wear or durability,” said Scott Damon, vice president, marketing for Bridgestone Commercial Solutions. “To do that, we added smarter designs and new technology in our Ecopia products, and implemented technologies that extend the life of an Ecopia casing for our Bandag FuelTech products. These changes mean greater fuel savings for our customers that can contribute to a lower cost of ownership over the life of the tires.”
Damon outlined the technologies used to create improve performance for the tires and ensure they were designed as a total tire solution – from the new tire to the retread.
– Within the tire tread, Bridgestone’s patented NanoPro-Tech polymer technology, available in all new Ecopia tires, helps control particle movement, which reduces energy loss. That translates into improved fuel economy through lower rolling resistance.
– Its proprietary Fuel Saver Sidewall compound reduces heat generation, which lowers rolling resistance and improves fuel economy.
– Bridgestone’s new IntelliShape sidewall, found in the M710 Ecopia drive radial and R197 Ecopia trailer tire, contain less bead filler volume, which lowers tire weight, improving fuel economy and conserving natural resources.
– A new Defense Side Groove feature has been incorporated into the R283 Ecopia steer tire, which creates uniform pressure along the footprint at the shoulder and helps extend tread life.
– A High Rigidity Tread Pattern was added to all Ecopia and FuelTech designs to extend wear.
– The patented Waved Belt design in its Greatec Ecopia tires improves durability, contributing to a more retreadable casing, especially when paired with a Bandag FuelTech product. The use of patented Turn-In-Ply technology enhances durability and retreadability over the life of the casing.
– These features found in Ecopia casings carry through to the retreading side, extending these fuel efficiency benefits while extending the life of the tire.
All FuelTech tread patterns complement the new drive and trailer Ecopia tires; B710 FuelTech drive and B197 FuelTech trailer retreads.
For users of wide base singles, there are Bandag B835 FuelTech and B135 FuelTech retreads (based on the new Bridgestone Greatec M835 Ecopia drive and Greatec R135 Ecopia trailer radials).
Damon urged truck owners to compute their potential savings with this tire solution using an online calculator at ecopiatrucktires.com. By entering a few details such as purchase price and removal mileage, users can quickly calculate projected savings over the life of their tires – from estimated fuel and tire wear savings to their estimated reduction in CO2 emissions.
The company has committed itself to reducing the carbon footprint from its products by 35% by the year 2020.
“We feel this is a good step towards that goal,” Damon said.
Truck News is Canada's leading trucking newspaper - news and information for trucking companies, owner/operators, truck drivers and logistics professionals working in the Canadian trucking industry. All posts by Truck News