Lanes open in both directions at Alberta border after blockade breakthrough

by Today's Trucking

There has been a breakthrough to resolve the protest blockade at the Coutts border crossing in Alberta, according to news reports.

Chad Williamson, a lawyer representing truckers blocking access to the border crossing on the highway said Wednesday afternoon they have spoken with Mounties and agreed to open some blocked lanes.

Trucks and other vehicles have begun clearing two lanes — one going north and one going south.

Earlier, RCMP called in additional officers to help with the blockade at the protest entered its fifth day.

A convoy of semi-trucks, four-wheelers and farm equipment was parked on the highway south of Lethbridge in support of the convoy to Ottawa with a goal to repeal a federal vaccination mandate for truckers, among other demands.

(Photo: Alberta RCMP)

The numbers of vehicles in the blockade had reduced after police said they would be making arrests, with about 100 vehicles jamming the border crossing.

“Alberta RCMP are aware of other blockades that have appeared in the immediate surrounding area of the Coutts border crossing. These blockades will be monitored with the full support of other Alberta law enforcement agencies,” the Mounties tweeted earlier.

RCMP officers were getting ready to make arrests on Tuesday but backed off due to safety concerns. A group of vehicles breached a police roadblock and created a secondary blockade on the highway.

Reports state that a group of protesters went to the home of Coutts’ mayor Jim Willetts and took photographs through the windows.

The Mounties have said they are not able confirm allegations made by Alberta Premier Jason Kenney on Tuesday that protesters assaulted RCMP officers. Kenney’s office said the premier “heard reports of violence that involved officers.”

Truckers told Today’s Trucking that they were stuck on the Montana side of the border for days, with some rerouting through other crossings to make their way home.

This is a developing story and has been updated.

Have your say

This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.


  • I do not see any movement on the part of the gov
    I and others are getting calls from drivers ready to quit to join the protesters. Also farmers and other homeless workers want to come and protest. We need like at why people are willing to risk everything and I. My case my life for problems in this situation.

  • I just hope the RCMP will be consistent and arrest any other groups that cause blockades, or is it simply anti truck driver.

  • A fitting end to the Tantrum Tour. As a fourty year driver and company owner, I support the right of protest reasonably within the boundaries of the law. A decent start but a horrible finish for a group that is not representing drivers as a whole but a small minority. It is their right to not be vaccinated but they don’t speak for me or the majority of drivers, and now the majority of drivers are disparaged by their actions. Sad.

    • Well you say it’s their right to not be vaccinated.
      But if they aren’t vaccinated they can’t work.
      So really they have no right to not be vaccinated.
      It’s get vaccinated or else we will will take away your source of income.
      That’s what a democracy is really all about. 51% of the people running roughshod over the other 49% which makes it fair for everyone. Except the 49%.
      Sort of like in the USA when slavery was legal.