MIAMI, FL – Ryder is doing everything it can to make more women comfortable behind the wheel of a commercial truck.
The company is now offering a female-friendly heavy-duty truck package for lease; a first for trucking. The custom specification was designed with the help of several OEMs and the Women In Trucking Association.
“This custom truck package is not only more ergonomically friendly to women, but will also benefit other drivers with the same types of needs,” said Scot Perry, vice president of supply management and global fuel products at Ryder.
The vehicles will feature:
- Ergonomically designed seats and adjustable armrest;
- Hood lift/closure assistance mechanism;
- Automated transmissions;
- Fifth wheel configurations with lower pull pressures to open the locking mechanism;
- Automated fifth wheel locking mechanisms;
- Automatic landing gear operators for trailers;
- A cab security system that offers personal protection while the driver is in the sleeper berth.
Ryder is currently encouraging OEMs to make adjustable foot pedal height a standard feature in future truck models, which was identified by female truck drivers as an important need, according to a survey by Women In Trucking (WIT).
Ellen Voie, president and CEO of WIT, commented: “Addressing driver comfort and truck cab design to accommodate the typically smaller stature of women is one of the issues where Women In Trucking Association is prompting changes. We are so pleased to see Ryder’s efforts in moving these ergonomic challenges into the forefront of the manufacturers’ design changes.”
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data