FREDERICTON (Feb. 14, 2000) — Truckers who haul road salt for the Nova Scotia government rejected the province’s offer of an 8% fuel surcharge, electing instead to continue a withdrawal of services that began last Monday.
About 75% of the 300-member Truckers’ Association of Nova Scotia turned down the offer following a meeting with provincial transport officials on Thursday. They had been seeking a 13.25% surcharge.
Transportation Minister Ron Russell said he would ask other truck operators to move salt from Pugwash to depots throughout the province starting today. “There is no reason for Nova Scotians to worry. Our salt domes are about 70% full right now,” Russell said. “And we are making sure we’ll have enough for the rest of the winter.”
However, TANS president Earl Germaine predicted blockades of storage depots and “vandalism” if non-members or Road Builders Association of Nova Scotia trucks try to move salt from Pugwash.
“If you get into something that’s none of your business, then human nature makes people very ugly,” he told the Halifax Herald.
Have your say
This is a moderated forum. Comments will no longer be published unless they are accompanied by a first and last name and a verifiable email address. (Today's Trucking will not publish or share the email address.) Profane language and content deemed to be libelous, racist, or threatening in nature will not be published under any circumstances.