TORONTO, Ont. – Gene Orlick, owner and president of Orlicks Inc. in Calgary, Alta., has been named chairman of the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA).
Announced March 23 during the CTA’s annual general meeting, Orlick will serve a two-year term as chairman of the federation of the country’s trucking associations, which represents over 4,500 trucking companies nationwide.
Orlick, who recently spoke to Truck West for a story on his father, Max, who passed away in January, grew up in the trucking industry with his father and uncle starting Orlick Transport in the late ‘40s.
“My dad, Max, uncle Tom, Lyndon Stockdale and Louie Tolaini were great mentors to me,” said Gene. “I worked for all of them and the direction they provided has been invaluable and contributed to my success in business and life. We opened Gene Orlick Transport in 1995 and bought Stockdale Transport in 2005. Since buying Stockdale, Lyndon Stockdale has been a constant with our operation by mentoring us all.”
Gene, who restored the Orlick Transport name with the blessing of his uncle, runs the company with his wife, Nancy, starting out hauling pop bottles for Coca Cola and now boasts around 40 trucks and 185 trailers, specializing in the transportation of grocery products, building materials and general van freight.
“We have built the business on face-to-face relationships,” Gene said. “Ethics, being honest, and service are what I believe in.
“I am living proof that small carriers not only have a voice at CTA, but that our voice is heard and respected.”
For more on the Orlicks, see page 7 of the March issue of Truck West.
Remaining CTA executive committee members are:
• First vice-chairman: Scott Smith, president, J.D. Smith and Sons Ltd., Vaughan, Ont.
• Second vice-chairman: Ed Malysa, president and COO, Trimac Transportation Services, Calgary, Alta.
• Treasurer: Gord Peddle, president, Atlantica Diversified Transportation Systems, Mount Pearl, Nfld.
• Secretary: Dan Duckering, president and CEO, Duckering’s Transport Ltd., Edmonton, Alta.
• David Bradley, president and CEO, Canadian Trucking Alliance, Toronto, Ont.
The at-large members of the committee are:
• Greg Arndt, co-owner and vice-president, Jade Transport Ltd., Winnipeg, Man.
• Greg Munden, president, Munden Ventures Ltd., Kamloops, BC
• Reg Quiring, CEO, Q-Line Trucking Ltd., Saskatoon, Sask.
• Ken Rosenau, director of operations, Rosenau Transport Ltd., Edmonton, Alta.
• Pierre Aubin, president, L’Express du Midi Inc., Ste-Catherine, Que.
• Shane Esson, general manager, Midland Transport Limited, Dieppe, NB
• Jean-Claude Fortin, president, J.E. Fortin Inc., Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Que.
• Gord Smith, CEO, Manitoulin Group of Companies, Gore Bay, Ont.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data