AKRON, Ohio – While Batman may like hiding in the shadows, it’s time to shed some light on the truckers who, without cape or cowl, perform heroic deeds rescuing those who need help.
Once again, the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is accepting nominations for its Highway Hero award. Founded in 1983, the program is designed to honour truckers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others. Past winners were recognized for rescuing another driver who had fallen from a burning tanker truck that was hanging over the side of a freeway overpass, for rescuing a family of six—including four children—from a crushed minivan, and for saving a woman from a gun-wielding attacker.
For a driver to be qualified to have his or her name entered into the competition, the candidate
- Must be a full-time truck driver
- Must reside in the US or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the US or Canada
- Must be driving a truck that has 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Must have been on the job—or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck at the time of the incident.
In addition, the heroic incident must have happened in the US or Canada between November 16, 2013, and Novemeber 16, 2014.
Nominations are being accepted until November 29. To submit a candidate’s name, fill out the online form.
The winner will be announced at the 2015 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Kentucky.
To read about last year’s winner and nominees, click here.
Have your say
We won't publish or share your data